Let’s be honest, our pets are our family! So it’s only natural that we would want to include them in activities outside of the house. Thankfully, there’s been an uptick in pet-friendly places, accommodations, restaurants, outdoor activities, and events. Whether for a weeklong vacation, a weekend away, or just a night on the town, there are a lot more pet-friendly options today than there were even a few years ago.
There are several great resources for pet-friendly fun in our area, as well as around the state and the country, so here’s a list of our favorite websites to search for family fun that truly includes the whole family:
- VisitRoanokeVA.com: If you’re looking for fun, dog-friendly activities in the Roanoke Valley, then this local website can help! It has a great list of pet friendly places, restaurants, events, outdoor activities, and accommodations.
- RunAboutRoanoke.com: Whether you or your pet are new to running or already a seasoned runner, RunAbout Sports Roanoke has fun pub runs and walks several times a week that are dog friendly! They are also a great resource for dog friendly local races and marathons.
- BringMyDogs.com: Another great resource for finding pet-friendly fun in the New River Valley and Roanoke areas is BringMyDogs.com. It was started by a local pet owner who knew our region was dog friendly but couldn’t find a comprehensive list of dog-friendly activities. So, she decided to make one herself!
- Virginia.org: If you’re looking to stay in Virginia but get out of the immediate area, you can check out the Virginia is for Lovers website. They have lots of great resources for pet friendly lodging on their website!
- BringFido.com: BringFido.com is great because you can search any location across the entire United States to find a list of dog-friendly activities, lodging, restaurants, and events. From New York City to San Francisco (the most dog-friendly city in the country!), Bring Fido has you covered when it comes to dog friendly fun.
With more and more cities embracing the idea that being dog-friendly opens them up to a whole new demographic of people (and their pets!), we expect that over the next few years there will be even more options available for pet owners who just can’t stand the thought of leaving Fido at home.